Kohinoor Mills Co. Ltd.

Dublin Core

Title

Kohinoor Mills Co. Ltd.
Naigaum Mills

Date

1896-01-01

Description

Established on 6 July 1896, the company originally operated with No.1 Mill, constructed as a spinning mill with 30,000 spindles on an area of about 42,000 square yards.

Kohinoor no.1 was started in 1896 and the neighbouring Kohinoor no.2 was started in 1888 as the Union Mills and became the Naigaum Mills in 1904, and Kohinoor no.2 in 1913.

In 1909, it bought what had been the Naigaum Mills and in 1913-14 built what is known as No.2 Mill with facilities for both spinning and weaving. Electrification of No.2 Mill was carried out in 1914 and of No.1 Mill in 1922.

In 1944, the mills were further enlarged by building No.2 Mill extension on the adjoining plot of land bought by the company, a self-contained unit carrying on the production of sewing threads. The company has purchased about 75,000 square yards of land and have an equal area on lease.

Killick & Nixon Co. were the managing agents until 31 January 1948 when Killick Industries became the agents. The mill was nationalised by the National Textile Corporation (NTC) in 1969 and was closed in 2004.

Source

ITJ 1926

Creator

Killick Nixon & Co.

Subject

Dadar

Mill Item Type Metadata

Agents

Killick & Nixon/Killick Industries, Killick House, Charanjit Rai Marg (Home Street), Fort, Bombay 1

Spindles

Ring, 48,808; Mule, 20,188; Total 68,996 (1926); 118,392 (1954)

Looms

1394 (1926); 1846 (1954)

Workers

3250 (1926); 9,800 (1954)

Geolocation

Item Relations

This item has no relations.